How to Make Pie Pastry. Make Your Own Amazing Flaky Shortcrust Pastry at Home!!!
Recipe type: Pastry
Cuisine: English / British
Pie pastry is quick and easy to make!!! I just a few minutes you can make amazing flaky shortcrust pastry that costs a fraction of the store-bought stuff, and tastes much better too.
- 600g All-purpose flour
- 300g Butter, frozen, then grated
- 5ml Salt
- 250ml Cold water
- Place the flour, grated butter and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour. You can control the flakiness of the pastry by how thoroughly you rub the butter in. If you leave the butter reasonably coarse, the pastry will be quite flaky. If you rub it in until the flour resemble breadcrumbs, the pastry will be flaky, but more on the side of shortcrust.
- Once the butter is nicely incorporated, pour in the iced water.
- Using 2 forks, mix the water in until it is absorbed by the flour. Using your hands, start compressing the dough together. Don't knead the dough or it will toughen, simply compress it into a single mass until it all comes together, and all of the loose bits are incorporated.
- Wrap the dough in clingwrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- At this stage, you can store the dough in your fridge for up to 30 days, or in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.