Best Burger Relish - Famous Wimpy Burger Relish. Amazing Piquant Tomato & Gherkin Burger Relish.
Recipe type: Sauce / Relish / Burgers
This burger relish is absolutely outstanding. This is a close copy of the original Wimpy franchise burger relish, which is famous across the globe.
- 150g Finely chopped onion
- 15g Finely chopped garlic
- 600g Peeled and chopped tomato
- 150ml Red wine vinegar
- 75g Sugar
- 100g Finely chopped gherkin
- 50g Butter
- 15ml Paprika
- 15ml Tapioca flour or cornflour mixed with 30ml water
- Heat a pan over medium heat, melt the butter and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato and continue to fry for a further 10 minutes and most of the tomato has disintegrated. Add the paprika and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the sugar and the red wine vinegar. Stir this until the sugar has dissolved, bring it back to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the relish for 30 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- By this stage the relish will be approaching the consistency of a runny jam. Stir the tapioca flour or cornflour into a little water and add this to the pan. Bring back to a boil and stir continuously for a minute until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the finely chopped gherkin and season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the relish to a sterilized jar. The relish will last for months stored in your refrigerator.
- In the commercial version of this relish, food coloring is added to achieve the deep red color. Whether you add coloring is entirely up to you.