Plaited Chicken Pie. How to Make Rustic Chicken Pie from Start to Finish. Homemade Chicken Pie.
Recipe type: Chicken / Baked / Pie
This amazing plaited chicken pie that really does look incredible and tastes even better. For the best result, use the best quality parmesan and salami you can find.
- 500g Chicken breast
- 8 White mushrooms
- 1 Medium onion
- 50g Parmesan cheese
- 250ml Sour cream
- 50g Salami
- 1 Roll puff pastry
- Slice the chicken breasts across the grain into thin slices.
- Slice the mushrooms thinly, and dice the onion.
- Shred the parmesan using a fine grater and mince the salami finely.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat and fry the onion and mushroom for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the shredded parmesan and salami. Stir in the sour cream and put this aside to cool completely.
- Lay the puff pastry out on a lightly greased baking tray and heap the filling up down the center of the pastry.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry at an angle in 1 inch intervals from the edge of the filling to the edge of the pastry. Repeat this on the other side as well.
- Lift the end of the pastry closest to you to enclose the filling.
- Alternating with strips on the right and left, lift these to cover the filling up until the second last pair of strips. Trim the odd ends from the end strip and lift the center piece to enclose the filling.
- Wrap the second last strips over this to secure it.
- Whisk 1 egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and paint on to the entire pie.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 200c or 400f for 30 to 35 minutes. The pie will be well puffed up, crispy and golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving with the accompaniments of your choice.