Beetroot Chutney. How to Make Beetroot Chutney at Home
Recipe type: Chutney / Accompaniments
Beetroot chutney is a fantastic accompaniment to curries and just about any meat dish, including chicken and seafood. It is easy to make, and although the cooking time is on the longer side, it is well worth the effort.
- 400g Beetroot, peeled and finely diced
- 250ml Water
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 400ml Cider vinegar
- 50ml Balsamic vinegar
- 400g Sugar
- 5ml Ground cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Fresh ginger paste
- Place the finely diced beetroot, water, finely chopped onion, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a large pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
- After about 60 minutes you will notice that the liquid has reduced considerably and is starting to become syrupy.
- Continue to reduce the liquid until a clean trail is left when you drag the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chutney from the heat and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before transferring it to sterilized jars. Allow the chutney to age for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place before serving.