Pickled Shredded Beetroot. How to Pickle Beetroot at Home - Homemade Pickled Beetroot & Onion.
Recipe type: Vegetable / Preserves
Pickled shredded beetroot is quick and easy to make. This recipe uses shredded beetroot and onion, and you can choose whether to make it hot and spicy or plain. If you prefer plain, simply omit the chilli and pepper from the recipe.
- 2 Medium onions, halved and thinly sliced into half-rounds
- 4 Medium beetroot, peeled, topped & tailed and grated with the grain
- 3 Tbs Pickling salt (or Kosher salt)
- 1 Green chilli sliced thinly (optional)
- 1 Tsp Black peppercorns (optional)
- 1½ Cups White wine vinegar
- ⅓ Cup Cane syrup (or honey)
- Top and tail and peel the beetroot. The grain of the beetroot runs from top to bottom, so when you grate it make sure you follow the grain otherwise it will disintegrate into small bits as it pickles.
- Cut the onions in half, then into thin half rounds. Combine the beetroot and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and mix this in thoroughly. The salt extracts the excess water from the vegetables. Allow this to stand for 20 minutes.
- Whole the veges stand, combine the vinegar, cane syrup, black peppercorns, and sliced chilli in a small saucepan.
- Bring this to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it stand until the vegetables have completed sweating.
- Place a colander over a large mixing bowl and pour the beet and onion into the colander. Pick up handfuls of the veg and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, transferring the dry veg back to its original mixing bowl as you go.
- Transfer the beet and onion to a sterilized jar and pour the vinegar solution over the vegetables until it is just covered.
- Place the lid on the jar and allow this to age for at least a few days before serving.