Crispy Deep-Fried Mozzarella Sticks. Deep-Fried Mozzarella, the Perfect Starter, Accompaniment or Snack!!!
Recipe type: Cheese
How to make perfect deep-fried mozzarella. The secret to perfect deep-fried mozzarella is in the triple coating - one coat of cornflour and two coats of crumb. watch the video to see just how to do it!!!
- 6 Batons Mozzarella cheese (commercial block)
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ Cup Cornflour
- ⅔ Cup Finely crushed cornflakes mixed with ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- Oil to fry
- Using commercial mozzarella which is firmer than the good hand made stuff, cut it into batons of 20mm or ¾ inch.
- Before we start coating the cheese, sprinkle a good layer of the cornflake mixture onto a platter.
- To coat the mozzarella, dip it into the egg to wet it all over.
- Dredge it in the cornflour making sure to cover all of the cheese. Return it to the egg making sure to wet all of the cornflour.
- Dredge it in the cornflake mixture to get a good solid coating, then back into the egg making sure to wet all of the cornflake mix.
- Then back into the cornflake mixture for the final coating. This thick coating will help to stop the cheese oozing out when it melts.
- Transfer the coated cheese to the platter. The crumb layer on the platter inhibits the coating from sticking to the plate and being damaged when it is removed from the plate.
- Place the platter in your freezer for 2 hours.
- Fill your pan with oil to a depth of 20mm and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully lower the coated cheese into the oil and fry this for 3 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Remove the sticks from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the crispy mozzarella to platters and serve immediately with a little fresh herb garnish and the dipping sauce of your choice.
- The mozzarella will be crisp and golden on the outside and soft and melted on the inside.