French Fried Onions. Deep-fried Shoe-string Onions. Glorious Crispy Fried Onions.
Recipe type: Deep-fried / Vegetable
Crispy,golden French fried onions make a perfect accompaniment, garnish or snack. Lightly coated then fried to golden perfection, these will have people lining up for seconds. Sometimes called shoe-string onions, these crispy fried onion rings have become the thing of legends!!!
- 1 Large onion
- Milk to cover
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- Oil to deep-fry
- Top and tail the onion and remove the outer layer.
- Place onion on its end and cut down through the onion to split the rings, then place it on its side and slice rings as thinly as you can.
- Place the rings in a mixing bowl and pour in enough full cream milk to cover. Allow these to stand for 60 minutes.
- After the soaking time, dredge the rings in the flour and fry them at 190c or 375f until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove the onions from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper before serving.