Deep-Fried Camembert / Brie. Crispy Fried Camembert or Brie Served with Preserved Figs.
Recipe type: Cheese / Starter / Dessert
Deep-Fried Camembert / Brie. Deep-fried camembert or brie is absolutely amazing - soft and runny on the inside and crisp and crunchy on the outside. The trick to getting this right is in the coating - check out the video to find out more!
- 125g Camembert or Brie cheese
For the Coating
- ½ Cup finely crushed cornflakes mixed with ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ Cup tapioca flour or cornflour
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
For the Garnish
- 6 Preserved green figs & a little fig syrup
- Cashew nuts
- Cut the cheese into 4 wedges.
- Before you coat the cheese, sprinkle a layer of the cornflake crumb mix over a platter. This stops the coating on the cheese from sticking to the platter while the coating sets.
- To coat the cheese, dip it in the egg wetting it all over.
- Dredge it in the tapioca or corn flour.
- Then dip it in the egg again making sure to wet all of the cornflour.
- Then it's into the cornflake mixture making sure to get a good solid coating all over.
- Then back into the egg making sure to wet all of the cornflake mixture.
- And finally another good solid coating of the cornflake mixture.
- This may seem like overkill, but the cheese melts very quickly and this good coating inhibits it leaking into the oil while frying.
- Transfer the coated cheese to the platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Fill a saucepan with oil to a depth of 50mm or 2 inches and heat this to 170c or 325f.
- Deep fry the cheese for 3 minutes turning halfway through.
- Remove the cheese from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the cheese wedges to platters. Serve with lightly crushed preserved figs, some of the fig syrup and salted cashew nuts.