Crispy Fried Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Herb Mayonnaise. Potato Cakes with Lox.
Recipe type: Seafood / Breakfast / Brunch
Potato cakes with smoked salmon and herb mayonnaise is a classic breakfast or brunch meal. The creamy potato cakes with crispy fried outside offset against the rich smoked salmon and herb mayonnaise combine to form a breakfast fit for kings. Potato cakes with lox.
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 200ml Mayonnaise
- Small handful of fresh dill
- Small handful of fresh parsely
- Small handful of fresh garlic chives
- 4 Slices smoked salmon
- 50g Butter
- Place the mayonnaise in a jug and add the dill, parsley and garlic chives. Using your stick blender, zap this until everything is finely chopped and well combined.
- Peel 4 medium potatoes and cut them into 8ths. Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes until soft, then drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 60ml of the mayonnaise to the potatoes, then mash the potatoes until very smooth.
- Using wet hands, pick up a quarter of the potato and form it into a patty about 25mm or 1 inch thick. Repeat this until all 4 patties are formed.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat then add 50ml of butter. Fry the patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side until crisp and golden.
- Remove the patties from the pan and transfer these to 2 serving platters.
- Top each potato cake with a generous sliver of smoked salmon, then top this with some of the herb mayonnaise.
- Garnish this with some extra dill and edible flowers and serve immediately.