Chinese Steamed Buns with Black Bean Beef.
Recipe type: Beef / Chinese Steamed Buns
Finely chopped rump steak, stir-fried with peppers and black bean sauce makes an aromatic and flavorful filling for the delicious Chinese steamed buns. The recipe is quick and easy and makes a fantastic entre', snack or addition to a Dim Sum feast.
For the Dough / Pastry
- 300g All purpose flour
- 1 Tbs Baking powder
- 110g Caster sugar
- 125ml Milk
- 80ml Water
- 60ml Oil
For the Filling
- 250g Rump steak, finely chopped
- ¼ Red pepper, finely diced
- ¼ Yellow pepper, finely diced
- 15ml Fermented black beans
- 15ml Light soy sauce
- 15ml Rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 5ml Brown sugar
- 5ml Roasted sesame oil
- 10ml Cornflour or tapioca flour
- Starting with the pastry, place the flour, baking powder and caster sugar in a mixing bowl. In a jug, combine the milk water and oil, then pour this into the flour. Mix this all to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and start to knead. The dough will be soft and sticky and you will sprinkle flour onto the dough continuously while kneading to make it manageable.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes, then dust it with flour, wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- While the dough matures, finely chop the rump steak. In a jug, combine the soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, sesame oil and cornflour. Pour this into the beef and massage the marinade into the meat, then put this aside.
- Finely dice the peppers, and chop the spring onions into fine rounds.
- Rinse and dry the fermented black beans, then chop them until fine.
- Heat your wok over medium high heat and stir-fry the beef in 2 batches, for 60 seconds per batch.
- If necessary, add extra oil to the wok, then stir-fry the peppers and spring onions for 60 seconds. Add the black beans and stir-fry for a further 60 seconds.
- Return the beef to the wok and stir-fry for a further 60 seconds.
- Remove this from the heat and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Quick chill the beef by floating the bowl in a sink of cold water.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and roll it into a sausage. Divide the sausage into 4 pieces.
- Roll each of these into a sausage and divide these into 4 pieces.
- Working with one piece, roll this into a ball, flatten the ball into a disk.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of the disk, stretch the edges of the disk upwards and over the filling. Give it twist to seal.
- Repeat this until all of the buns are completed.
- Cut 16 squares of baking paper and start packing the buns into your steamer. You will need to use both tiers of your steamer, or cook 2 batches.
- Hal fill your wok with water and bring this to a rapid boil. Place the steamer on the wok and steam the buns for 20 minutes.
- Remove the steamer from the heat, transfer the buns to platters and serve with the dipping sauces of your choice.