Chinese Steamed Buns Filled with Aromatic Chicken. Delicious & Tender Chinese Steamed Chicken Buns.
Recipe type: Steamed Buns
These delicious Chinese steamed buns are well worth the effort. With soft and tender pastry and an aromatic and flavorful filling of chicken, these are definite winners.
For the Dough / Pastry
- 300g All purpose flour
- 1 Tbs Baking powder
- 110g Caster sugar
- 125ml Milk
- 80ml Water
- 60ml Oil
For the Filling
- 4 Dried Chinese mushrooms
- Small handful of dried wood-ear fungus
- 2 Tbs Fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 250g Minced chicken
- 6 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs Oyster sauce
- 1 Tsp Light soy sauce
- 1 Tsp Roasted sesame oil
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Cornflour or Tapioca flour, dissolved in 2 Tbs chicken stock
- Starting with the pastry, place the flour, baking powder and caster sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a jug, combine the milk water and oil, then pour this into the flour. Mix this all to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and start to knead. The dough will be soft and sticky and you will sprinkle flour onto the dough continuously while kneading to make it manageable.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes, then dust it with flour, wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- While the dough matures and chills, reconstitute the Chinese mushrooms and wood ear fungus in boiling water. Allow them to soak for 15 minutes, then drain and squeeze out any excess water.
- Chop the mushrooms and fungus until fine.
- Mince the chicken until fine.
- Chop the spring onion until fine.
- Chop the ginger until until fine.
- For the aromatic flavoring sauce, combine the oyster sauce, light soy sauce, the sesame oil and salt.
- Mix the cornflour or tapioca with 30ml of chicken stock and add this to the sauce.
- Heat your wok over medium high heat, add 30ml of oil and stirfry the ginger for a few seconds until aromatic.
- Add the chicken to the wok and stirfry this for 3 minutes until all the chicken has changed color.
- Add the mushrooms, fungus and spring onions and stirfry this until everything is mixed, then pour in the sauce.
- Stirfry this for 60 seconds until the sauce has thickened and coated everything, then remove from the heat.
- Transfer the filling to a mixing bowl and quick chill this by floating it in a sink of cold water.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and roll it into a sausage. Divide the sausage into 4 pieces.
- Roll each of these into a sausage and divide these into 4 pieces.
- Working with one piece, roll this into a ball, flatten the ball into a disk.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of the disk, stretch the edges of the disk upwards and over the filling. Give it twist to seal.
- Repeat this until all of the buns are completed.
- Cut 16 squares of baking paper and start packing the buns into your steamer. You will need to use both tiers of your steamer, or cook 2 batches.
- Half fill your wok with water and bring this to a rapid boil. Place the steamer on the wok and steam the buns for 20 minutes. (the water must not touch the steamer)
- Remove the steamer from the heat, transfer the buns to platters and serve with the dipping sauces of your choice.