How to Make Sausage Rolls in Shortcrust Pastry. Delicious Homemade Sausage Rolls.
Recipe type: Pastry / Pie
How to Make Sausage Rolls in Shortcrust Pastry. Traditionally sausage rolls have always been made using puff / flakey pastry. This recipe uses shortcrust pastry which is a pleasant change from the messy stuff.
For the Pastry
- 4 Cups plain flour
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 180g Cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 Cup cold milk
- 1 Egg yolk mixed with 1Tbs water, to glaze
For the filling
- 400g Beef mince
- 400g Pork mince
- 1 Tsp Ground cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground coriander
- ½ Tsp Tumeric
- ¼ Ground allspice
- ¼ Cayenne pepper
- ½ Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Onion salt
- For a softer sausage more akin to the commercial fillings, replace 125g of the beef and 125g of the pork with 250g of mashed potato.
- The filling can also be made entirely with pork, pork and chicken, or a combination of pork, chicken and bacon.
- Place the flour and sugar in you food processor. Cut the cold butter into pieces and add this to the bowl. Run the processor on high speed until all of the butter has been cut into the flour and the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the cold milk to the bowl and mix until a dough forms and this comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the beef and the pork the your processor, along with the cumin, coriander, turmeric, allspice, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and onion salt. Run the processor on high speed until the mince is twice as fine as it was and everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape these into slightly flattened sausages.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and divide it into 2 halves. Roll the first half out into a long strip, roughly as wide as the sausages, and 5mm or just less than a quarter inch thick.
- Place one of the sausages on the pastry, leaving about 5cm or 2 inches below the meat. Trim the edges of the pastry, the roll the bottom pastry over the sausage. Trim this off and repeat this and repeat with the second half of pastry until all of the sausage rolls are formed.
- Rub a light coating of oil onto a baking sheet and transfer the rolls to the sheet.
- Whisk together the yolk of one egg with 15ml or 1 tbs of water. Brush the egg wash onto the rolls, the bake in a preheated oven at 210c or 410f for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.