Mexican Fritters with Cinnamon Orange Syrup. Soft, Airy and Delicious Cinnamon Fritter Recipe.
Recipe type: Dessert
Mexican Fritters with Cinnamon Orange Syrup. The texture and taste of these light and airy fritters is second to none. The cinnamon orange syrup rounds it all off perfectly. Nothing finishes off a feast quite as well as a plate of these fritters with citrus syrup.
For the Batter
- 1 Cup Water
- 70g Butter
- 1 Cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 4 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Oil to deep fry
For the Syrup
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 30ml Orange juice
- 1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- Combine the butter and the water in a pan over low heat. Stir these together until the butter has melted. Don't let the mixture boil during this step.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the flour and using a wooden paddle beat this until smooth.
- Return this to the heat and stir the mixture as it cooks and thickens and comes away from the base and sides of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool for a minute, then transfer the batter to a glass mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs bit by bit, beating thoroughly after each addition. The mixture will be a thick glossy batter.
- Pour oil into a wok or pan to depth of 1 inch or 25mm and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the oil and fry the for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy and golden. Remove these from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towel. Repeat this process until all of the fritters are cooked.
- To make the syrup, combine the water, orange juice, brown sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced to ¾ of its volume and the syrup coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the syrup from the heat. Transfer the fritters to platters, drizzle each platter with the cinnamon syrup and serve immediately.