Crepes Suzette. Feather-light pancakes infused with citrus, flambe'd in Brandy and Grand Marnier.
Recipe type: Dessert
Crepes Suzette is a classic of French desserts. These feather-light crepes are infused with the flavor and aroma of citrus, then flambe'd in brandy and Grand Marnier resulting in a heavenly pancake saturated with citrus syrup. Crepes Suzette is quick and easy to make and will be a sure winner with your loved ones.
For the Crepes Suzette Batter
- 2 Tbs Orange zest
- 1 Tbs Lemon zest
- 250g Cake flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1Tsp Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 400ml Milk
- 1 Tbs Melted butter
- Extra milk for thinning
For the Sauce / Syrup
- 125g Caster sugar
- 250ml Orange juice
- 1 Tbs Orange zest
- 2 Tbs Brandy
- 2 Tbs Grand Marnier
- 50g Butter
To Make the Crepes
- Add the flour, salt and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
- In a jug, whisk the eggs into the milk, then pour this into the flour, whisking continuously as you pour.
- Continue to whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour in the melted butter and the lemon and orange zest and whisk this in thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and whisk in a little more milk, bit by bit, until the batter has the consistency of drinking yogurt.
- Heat a 200mm / 8 inch crepe pan over medium high heat. Using a ⅓ cup measure, scoop up a measure of batter and pour it into the pan.
- Swirl the pan to spread the batter.
- Cook the crepe until the edges start to lift, then flip the crepe over and cook for another 60 seconds. Remove the crepe from the pan and continue this until all the crepes are cooked.
To Make the Sauce
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the caster sugar.
- When the sugar starts to melt, tip the pan from side to side or stir the sugar to ensure even coloring.
- When all of the sugar is melted, add the orange juice and zest, stir this in, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Fold the crepes into quarters and place them in the pan. Turn the crepes over in the sauce until they are all totally saturated with the sauce.
- Add the brandy and Grand Marnier, immediately set this alight with your blowtorch. Allow the flames to burn out on their own.
- Add the butter to the pan and allow this to melt into the sauce.
- Transfer 2 crepes to each serving platter and serve immediately.