Creme Caramel - Creamy Baked Caramel Custard Dessert Recipe.
Recipe type: Dessert
Creme caramel is a baked custard flavored with vanilla and topped with a decadent caramel syrup. This recipe is quick and easy and will give you smooth, creamy custard that will have your guests coming back for more.
For the caramel
- 100g Caster sugar
- 30ml / 2 Tbs Water
For the custard
- 650ml Milk
- 2.5ml / ½ Tsp Pure vanilla extract (can substitute essence)
- 125g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Egg yolks
To make the Caramel
- Place the 100g of caster sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
- As the sugar melts, tips the pan pan from side to side to ensure even coloring.
- When all of the sugar has melted, remove from the heat and add the water. Stand back when you do this, it will spatter. Mix the water in to make a smooth syrup.
- Pour equal amounts of the syrup into each of the 6 ramekins.
To make the Custard
- Pour the milk into a pot and add the vanilla.
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it just comes to a boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar. Whisk this together until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and pour it over the egg mixture, whisking continuously while pouring.
- Ladle the custard mixture into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the custards in a pre-heated oven at 180c / 350f for 35-40 minutes until the custards are firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, remove the ramekins from the pan and allow them to cool for 15 minutes on a rack before turning out and serving.