Mild Indian Chicken Curry. Chicken curry with a little heat, a little sweet, rounded off with creamy yogurt.
Recipe type: Curry
This mild Indian chicken curry can actually be made as hot or as mild as you like it. The recipe has a little heat, offset by a little sweetness then rounded off with creamy yogurt.
- 800g Chicken thigh meat, skin on, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tbs Mild curry powder (you can use spicier powder if desired)
- 50ml Oil
- 150g Mixed peppers, sliced into short batons
- 150g Carrots, julienne, then cut into short batons
- 150g Cauliflower florets
- 8 Baby potatoes, quartered
- 300g Onions, quartered and cut into quarter rounds
- 4 Tbs Garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 Tbs Ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbs Curry powder
- 15ml oil
- 100ml oil
- ½ Cup dried berries - cranberries, seedless raisins or any berry of your choice
- 500ml Bulgarian yogurt
- 250ml Chicken or vegetable stock
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Fruit chutney to serve
- Sliced bananas to serve
- Desicated coconut to serve
- Cut the chicken thigh meat into bite sized pieces, place them in a bowl and add the 2 Tbs of curry powder. Mix until combined, set aside to marinate.
- Prepare all of the vegetables and measure out the berries, yogurt and stock.
- Add 50ml of oil to the chicken and stir until well coated.
- Heat your wok over high heat, add a tablespoon of oil and stir-fry half of the chicken for 4 minutes. Scoop this from the pan leaving as much oil and fat behind as possible. Repeat with the second half of chicken.
- Add the onions to the wok and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the onions and continue to fry for 2 minutes. Sccop from the wok leaving as much oil behind as possible.
- Add the carrots and peppers to the wok and fry for 5 minutes. Scoop from the wok leaving as much of the oil behind as possible.
- Add 100ml oil to the wok and fry the potatoes for 8 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Add the cauliflower to the potatoes and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes. Scoop these from the wok.
- Drain the wok leaving only oil that sticks to the sides of the wok.
- Place a large colander over a bowl. Pour the chicken and all of the vegetables into the colander and allow any excess oil to drain.
- Reheat your wok over medium heat and add the 1 Tbs of curry powder. Fry the powder briefly until fragrant.
- Return all of the other ingredients to the wok, stir briefly, then add the berries.
- Stir this to combine, then add the yogurt. Stir this until everything is coated.
- Pour in the stock, stir this in, bring to a low simmer, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the curry from the heat and serve immediately with Basmati rice, sliced banana, fruit chutney and desicated coconut. Garnish with fresh corinder.