Chinese Red Cooked Pork Belly. Fragrant 5-Spice Red cooked pork on the barbecue, or in your wok.
Recipe type: Pork
The amazing aroma and flavor of the 5-spice and ginger in this recipe, makes for an unforgettable feast. I am cooking this on my gas barbecue, but never fear, if you prefer doing this red cooked pork belly in your wok, the wok instructions are included in the recipe on our website http://Whats4Chow.com
- 1.2kg Pork belly, deboned, rind on
- Water to cover
For the Red Cooking Sauce
- 600ml Water
- 6 Spring onions, bruised with the back of your cleaver
- 6 Slices ginger, smashed
- 200ml Dark soy sauce
- 60ml Rice wine or dry sherry
- 5ml 5-Spice
- 50g Soft brown sugar
- With your cleaver at 90 degrees to the skin, scrape the skin to remove any stray bristles.
- Half-fill your barbecue pan, or wok with water and bring this to a boil
- Add the pork skin side down, return to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the wok and drain the pan, or wok.
- Pour in the 600ml of water and add all of the other sauce ingredients. Bring this to a boil, then return the pork to the pan / wok skin side down.
- Bring this back to a boil, lower the temperature to a simmer, then simmer for 2 hours and 30 minutes, turning every 30 minutes.
Specific barbecue instructions
- You will have to add about 100ml of water every time you turn the pork to prevent the sauce from thickening too much, too soon, and burn as a result.
Specific wok instructions
- Turn the pork every 30 minutes, only add extra water if the sauce is particularly thick. Add a little water and lower the temperature if necessary.
- At the end of the cooking, the sauce will bubble like lava - thick and glossy. If you are cooking in your wok, and the sauce has not thickened enough, continue to simmer until it is.
- Remove the pork from the pan or wok to a carving board and allow it to stand for 5 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Carve into thin slices and serve on platters with the accompaniments of your choice.