Crumbed Mushrooms. How to make crispy, golden crumbed mushrooms.
Recipe type: Deep-fried / crumbed / mushrooms
Crumbed mushrooms is a standard classic served across the globe. It is perfect as a cocktail snack, starter or accompaniment to a main course. This recipe will give you a coating that sticks very well, maintains its crispiness, and has loads of flavor.
- 12 Button mushrooms
- ½ Cup Tapioca flour
- ½ Cup finely crushed cornflakes mixed with ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- Oil for frying
- Using a soft brush, clean off any mulch or dirt on the mushrooms - do not wash
- Dunk the mushrooms in the egg until totally coated.
- Drench the mushrooms in the tapioca flour to get a good covering all over.
- Dunk the mushrooms in the egg again to wet all of the tapioca flour.
- Drench the mushrooms in the corn flake mixture to get a good thick coating.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half-fill your pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully add the mushrooms to the pan, cap side down.
- Fry like this for 2 minutes, then tip the mushrooms onto their sides.
- Fry like this for 2 minutes, then turn the mushrooms over onto their other sides.
- Fry for a final 2 minutes, remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce of your choice.