Crispy Deep fried Calamari Stuffed with Parmesan Lemon Rice. Crisp fried squid tubes stuffed with parmesan-lemon rice.
Recipe type: Seafood
Tender young calamari tubes stuffed with parmesan-lemon rice, crumbed and deep-fried to crispy, golden perfection. There are hundreds of stuffed calamari / squid recipes, so here is something a bit different to the rest.
For the filling
- 120g / 12 Tbs Cooked long-grain rice
- 20g Finely grated parmesan
- 3 Tbs Lemon zest
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Lemon pepper
- ½ Tsp Garlic powder
To marinate the tentacles
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of lemon pepper
- Pinch of salt
For the coating
- ½ Cup finely crushed cornfalkes mixed with ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup Tapioca flour
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 8 Young whole calamari including tentacles
- Oil for frying
- Combine all of the stuffing ingredients.
- Place the tentacles on a plate, squeeze the lemon juice over the tentacles, season with lemon pepper and salt.
- Using a narrow spoon, fill each calamari tube with 1½ Tbs of the rice mixture, then secure the ends of the tubes with toothpicks.
- To coat the tube, dredge the tubes in the tapioca flour, then the egg, followed by a good coating of the cornflake mixture.
- Transfer the tubes to a platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Half-fill your pan with oil, heat this to 180c / 350f.
- Carefully slide the tubes into the oil and fry for 90 seconds per side, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the tentacles to the pan -- stand back when you do this, the oil will react quite violently to this.
- Fry the tentacles until the oil calms - about 45 seconds.
- Remove the tentacles from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Arrange the tubes and tentacles on a platter and serve immediately with lemon wedges.