Grilled Feta & Herb Stuffed Calamari
Recipe type: Seafood
Cuisine: Greek / Mediterranean
This is our 100th episode in just over 4 months, and to mark the occasion this Stuffed Feta & Herb Calamari / Squid is a sure winner. This stuffed calamari / squid recipe can be barbecued, grilled or pan fried in a ribbed skillet. Whichever way you choose to do it, you will score a perfect 10 with your friends and loved ones.
- 6 Whole young squid, with tentacles
- 6 Batons of feta cheese, 20mm x 20mm x 50mm
For the marinade
- 90ml / 6 Tbs Olive oil
- 2 Tbs Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs Fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- Coarse salt, cracked black pepper, lemon wedges
- Remove the tentacles from the tube of the calamari. Cut the beak section from the lower section of the tentacles.
- Combine and whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Arrange the calamari tubes, heads and feta in a single layer in a pan or tray, and spoon the marinade evenly over everything.
- Allow this to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Press one feta baton into each of the calamari tubes, then secure the end with a toothpick.
- Press the tentacles onto skewers.
- Heat your barbecue or ribbed skillet to medium heat and grill the calamari tubes for 6 minutes.
- Turn the tubes over and continue to grill for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tentacles to the grill and grill for a further 2 minutes before turning the tentacles.
- Grill for a final 2 minutes, remove all of the calamari from the grill and serve immediately with coarse salt, cracked black pepper and lemon wedges.