Phoenix Prawn Tails. Crispy Deep-fried Prawns in Tapioca Batter.
Recipe type: Seafood
Phoenix prawn tails is a dish suitable for cocktail parties, as a starter or main course. Coated in a light tapioca flour batter, these delectable, crispy prawns are absolutely delicious.
For the batter
- 150g All purpose flour
- 75ml Tapioca flour (can substitute cornflour)
- 7.5ml Baking powder
- 235ml Water
- 2.5ml Salt
- 30ml Oil
- 24 Medium prawns, peeled, deveined, head off, tail intact
- Sift the flour, tapioca flour and baking powder into a larger mixing bowl.
- Add the water and whisk this to a smooth batter.
- Allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
- While the batter stands, peel and devein the prawns leaving the tails intact.
- To prevent the prawns from curling during the frying process, make 3 shallow incisions in to the belly of each prawn.
- Half fill your pan with oil and heat to 190c / 375f.
- Add the salt and remaining oil to the batter and whisk until totally combined.
- Holding the prawns by the tail, dip each prawn into the batter to coat the entire body of each prawn, and carefully drop the prawns into the oil.
- Fry the prawns for 3 minutes, remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauces and accompaniments of your choice.