Chinese Red Cooked Beef
Recipe type: Beef
Red Cooked Beef. Chinese Red Cooked Beef Shin. How to Red Cook Beef. The technique of red cooking is widely used in the east to tenderize relatively inexpensive cuts of meat. In this beef recipe, I have used beef shin, but you can also use blade, skirt or any other lower grade cut.
- 600g Deboned beef shin
Flavor pot 1
- 200ml Rice wine (or dry white)
- 1 inch Fresh ginger sliced
- Water to cover
Flavor pot 2
- 50ml Dark soy sauce
- 45ml Soft brown sugar
- 300g Carrots, peeled and roll-cut
- 5ml Salt
- 1 Tbs Chilli sauce (optional)
- Peel and roll-cut the carrots
- Cut the beef into 15mm cubes
- Peel and slice the ginger into 2mm slices
- Put the beef and ginger into your wok along with the flavor pot 1 ingredients.
- Bring the wok to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the flavor pot 2 ingredients, stir to combine, and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, salt and chilli sauce and simmer for a further 25 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes for the first 20 minutes, then continuously for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Remove the wok from the heat and serve,