Onion Jam Chicken
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Beautifully succulent and tender chicken pieces baked in a sweet and sour balsamic onion jam.
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup treacle sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 chicken, jointed
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until they are soft and brown, about half an hour. Add vinegar, wine, salt and pepper. Allow the vinegar to cook out for about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir until sauce thickens.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan
- Spread jam sauce over chicken and bake for 1½ hours uncovered, or, for softer chicken, bake for 1 hour covered and 30 minutes uncovered.