KFC Crunch Burger - How to Make the KFC Crunch Burger at Home!!!
Recipe type: KFC
The KFC Crunch burger is one of the most recent additions to the KFC menu. Crispier and crunchier than the regular KFC burger, and almost as spicy as the KFC Zinger, the Crunch Burger is outstanding. This is how to make your own amazing Crunch Burger at home.
For the Curing Brine
- 3 Liters water
- 90g Prague powder #2
- 35ml White pepper
- 15ml Cayenne pepper
For the Coating
- 5ml Citric acid
- 500ml All purpose flour
- 80ml Tapioca flour (or cornstarch if you cannot find tapioca)
- 30ml White pepper
- 30ml Cayenne pepper
- 30ml Salt
- 4 Eggs
For the Sauce
- 60ml Tangy mayonnaise
- 30ml Thin pepper sauce (Tabasco or Lea & Perrins)
- 4 Burger buns
- 4 Slices processed cheese
- Pour 3 liters of water into a medium size pot. Measure out the Prague powder, white pepper and cayenne pepper and add these to the pot.
- Place the pot over medium high heat, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Quick cool the brine by floating the pot in a sink of cold water.
- When the brine has cooled significantly, pour it into a non-reactive container.
- Place the chicken breasts in the brine, clip the lid on the container and transfer it to your refrigerator for 24 hours to cure.
- The following day, make up the coating mixture by combining the all-purpose flour, tapioca flour, citric acid, salt, cayenne pepper and white pepper.
- Whisk the eggs thoroughly and pour these into a large bowl.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the brine and pat them dry using a clean kitchen cloth.
- Trim away the fillets from the breasts. Save these for stir-fry or KFC Popcorn.
- Place the breast smooth side up on your board and gently flatten them out with your meat mallet.
- Before coating the breasts, sprinkle some of the seasoned flour over a large platter. This is where the coated chicken will set, and the flour will prevent the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- Working with one breast at a time, dredge the breast in the flour to coat the surface.
- Transfer it to the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Then back to the flour to get a good coating all over.
- Then back to the egg to wet all of the flour....
- Then a third and final coating of flour.
- Transfer the breast to the platter to set and continue with the remaining breasts.
- While the coating sets, combine the hot pepper sauce and the mayonnaise. You can use any thin hot pepper sauce like Tabasco or Lea and Perins.
- Cut the burger buns, unwrap the cheese slices and portion the lettuce.
- Half fill a wok or large pan with oil and heat this to 160c.
- Carefully lower the chicken breasts into the oil and fry these for 6 minutes, turning them every 90 seconds.
- Remove the breast from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- To make up the burger, spread a little sauce on the lower bun an place a breast on top of this.
- Top the bun with the processed cheese slice and a generous dose of lettuce.
- Give lettuce a generous dollop of sauce and you're done.
- And there it is.... simple genius from KFC.... made at home.