Dominican Deep Fried Chicken - Pico Pollo - the Traditional Dominican Deep Fried Chicken
Recipe type: Chicken - Deep-fried
Dominican Deep-fried chicken or Pica Pollo is quite different to the fried chicken we are accustomed to. The chicken is precooked in a flavor pot, then lightly coated, and deep-fried to crispy, golden yummy.
- 12 Chicken drumsticks
For the Flavor Pot
- 1.5lt Water
- 1 Small red onion
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 Sprigs parsley
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
For the Seasoned Coating
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2.5ml Dried oregano
- 5ml White pepper
- 5ml Salt
- Oil for frying
- For the flavor pot, crush the garlic, measure the salt, cut 3 sprigs of parsley, squeeze the lime juice and cut the red onion in half.
- Add the water to the pot along with the chicken drumsticks and all of the aforementioned ingredients.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring this to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken for 15 minutes.
- For the seasoned coating, measure out the white pepper, dried oregano and salt. Add this to the flour and mix this in thoroughly.
- Remove the drumsticks from the flavor pot and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Working with a couple of drumsticks at a time, drop them into the flour, pop the lid on the container and shake it up to coat the chicken.
- Remove the lid, shake any excess flour from the drumsticks and transfer these to a platter while you continue with the remaining pieces.
- Half-fill a large pot or wok with oil and heat this to 170c or 340f. Fry the drumsticks in batches until they are lightly golden and crispy. This will take about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper. Continue until all of the drummies are complete.
- Serve the chicken immediately with a super-cold beer and the accompaniments of your choice.