Grilled Prawn & Monkfish Skewers - Succulent Prawns and Rich Monkfish, Grilled to Perfection!
Recipe type: Seafood
Today we're going to grill a batch of seriously tasty prawn and monkfish skewers. Monkfish is found worldwide and is revered for its remarkable similarity in texture and taste to crayfish and lobster. Combine this with the prawns and you have an amazing flavor explosion.
- 32 Medium size prawns
- 800g Monkfish tails
- 16 x 6 inch Bamboo skewers (150mm)
- 150g Butter
- 30g Crushed garlic
- 2 Small lemons
- Salt to season
- 4 Portions cooked rice (according to the package instructions)
- Start with 32 medium size prawns. Use a sharp scissors to cut down the spine of each prawn up until and including the second last segment of the shell.
- Use toothpick to hook out the vein. Put this aside and continue until all of the prawns are deveined.
- Monkfish only has a central bone. Use a sharp knife to cut the fillets from the bone. For this quantity of prawns, you will need about 800g of monkfish fillets.
- Cut through the fillets at an acute angle to get strips of fish 50mm or 2 inches in length.
- You will need 16 x 6 inch or 150mm thin bamboo skewers.
- Press a skewer through the prawn just behind the head. Press another skewer through the prawn just above the second last segment. Notice that the prawn is lying sideways. The skewers enter the belly and exit the spine.
- Thread a strip of monkfish onto the skewers.
- Follow this with another prawn, and so on, until each kebab has 4 prawns and 3 strips of monkfish.
- Continue until all 8 skewers are complete.
- Heat a large pan over high heat. Add the butter.
- Once the butter is sizzling, add the garlic. Stir this around the pan for just a few seconds before adding the skewers.
- If your pan is not as large as this one, use a smaller pan, half the butter and half the garlic and fry 2 batches.
- Fry the skewers for 4 to 5 minutes. Squeeze the fresh lemon over the prawns.
- Turn the skewers, squeeze the remaining lemon over the prawns and season liberally with salt. Continue frying for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Wipe the skewers around in the pan then turn again. Fry for 60 seconds.
- Wipe the skewers around the pan and turn again. Fry the prawns for a final 60 seconds.
- Remove the prawns from the pan and add the prepared rice to the pan.
- Stirfry the rice in the prawn butter to pick up all the yummy bits from the pan.
- Serve a bed of rice onto each platter and top each with 2 of the seafood skewers.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and the accompaniments of your choice.