Vegan Steakhouse Melts - Vegan Patties Folded and Stuffed with Vegan Cheese
Recipe type: Vegan / Vegetarian
These vegan steakhouse melts are super easy to make and there is a ton of flavor in the patties and the cheesy sauce.
For the Patties
- 580ml TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 500ml Vegetable stock
- 60ml Tomato sauce
- 20ml Marmite or vegamite
- 10ml Dried garlic granules
- 10ml Chilli flakes
- 30ml Light soy sauce
- 10ml Salt
- 125ml Strong white bread flour
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2 Medium potatoes
- 2 Medium carrots
- 75ml Nutritional yeast flakes
- 5ml Salt
- Starting with the cheese sauce, place the chopped carrots and potatoes in a medium size pot.
- Pour in enough boiling kettle water to cover the vegetables.
- Place the pot over high heat and bring this to a boil. Allow this to boil for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are very tender.
- In the meantime, combine the vegetable stock with the tomato sauce, marmite or vegamite, garlic granules, chilli flakes, light soy sauce and salt.
- Pour this over the textured vegetable protein and stir this thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and put this aside for 30 minutes to reconstitute.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and transfer them to a tall jug.
- Use your stick blender to liquidise the vegetables.
- Add the nutritional yeast flakes and salt and blend these in. This is the cheese sauce.
- Add the strong white bread flour to the textured vegetable protein and stir this in. Get in there with your hands and mix this thoroughly until the mixture turns very sticky.
- Transfer the cheese sauce to a piping bag and snip a half inch off the end of the bag.
- Use your patty press to press out a patty. Carefully drop the patty onto a piece of plastic film.
- Pipe cheese over one half of the patty leaving a border open around the edge.
- Lift the plastic film and fold the patty over the cheese. Crimp the edges of the patty together being careful not squeeze out the filling.
- Transfer this to a large platter and continue with the remaining melts.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add just enough oil to coat the base of the pan.
- Carefully place the melts in the pan. Fry the melts for 6 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve the steakhouse melts immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.
- And there we have it, grilled vegan steakhouse melts.