How to Make Spicy, Cheesy Turkey Sausage - Full-Flavor Homemade Turkey Sausage!!!
Recipe type: Sausage
This spicy turkey cheese sausage is out of this world. Tender juicy ground turkey, spiced with Mexican spice blend and loads of mature cheese will have you guests lining up for more.
- 2.6kg Turkey meat, cubed
- 300g Well matured cheddar or Monterey Jack
- 250ml Chilled water
- 22mm Collagen casings
For the Spice Blend
- 30ml Ground cumin
- 30ml Ground coriander seed
- 30ml Paprika
- 30ml Oregano
- 10ml Chilli powder
- 10ml Garlic powder
- 50g Salt
- Starting with the spice blend, place the ground cumin, ground coriander seed, paprika, oregano, chilli powder, garlic powder and salt on a bowl and mix this until combined.
- Place the cubed turkey meat in a large roasting tin. You can use any part of the turkey, however the drumstick meat will yield the best result.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the meat and mix this in thoroughly.
- Transfer the pan to your freezer for 45 minutes to firm up. This is absolutely necessary as it aids your grinder to get a good clean grind with no fat smearing, resulting in a much better texture of sausage.
- Remove the meat from your freezer and and run it through the grinder with a 4mm plate fitted.
- Add the coarsely grated cheese to the meat and mix this in briefly.
- Pour in the well chilled water and mix everything together until all of water has been absorbed by the meat.
- Load the meat mixture into the hopper of your sausage stuffer.
- Fit an 18mm funnel to the stuffer and feed the 22mm collagen casing onto the funnel.
- Crank the stuffer until the meat reaches the end of the funnel, then twist off the casing.
- Apply gentle pressure to the casing at the end of the funnel and start cranking the handle.
- When the end of the casing is almost reached, stop cranking, remove the casing from the funnel and twist off the end.
- Continue with this process until all of the filling has been used.
- To make up individual sausages, crimp the sausage between your thumb and forefinger.
- Twist the sausage a few times, then snip it off in the center of the twisted section. Continue until all of the sausages are formed.
- Wrap the sausages and transfer them to your refrigerator overnight for the flavors to fully develop before cooking and serving.
- To cook the sausage, fry them gently in butter over medium heat until golden on all sides.
- Serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.