How to Dry Apple Slices in your Oven - Make Dried Fruit at Home
Recipe type: Fruit / Preserves
Desiccating fruit is a great way of preservation, and this works very well with apples. This process can be done very easily at home without any additives like sulphur dioxide.
- 2-3 Large apples
- 1 Liter water
- 125ml White vinegar
- Use your corer to remove the centers and seeds.
- Proceed by peeling the skins from apples. Some people like to leave the skin on, but I find it a little too chewy.
- Slice the apples into 3mm slices. You cut them a bit thicker if you prefer, however the drying time will increase accordingly.
- In a jug, combine the water with the white vinegar.
- Place the sliced apple in a mixing bowl and pour the vinegar solution over the apple.
- Mix this around gently, then leave it to soak for 30 minutes. The vinegar solution will prevent the apple from oxidizing and browning while it dries.
- After soaking, drain the apples and spread them out on a clean dish towel.
- Place another towel over this and pat the slices dry.
- Arrange the slices on stainless steel racks. These multi level cooling racks are particularly useful for this.
- Place the racks in your oven set at 90c or 200f for 2 hours until dry and leathery. If you would like them on crisper side, continue drying for a further hour.
- After the drying time, leave the apple in the oven to cool completely with door slightly open.
- And there it is,beautifully dried apple slices with no added preservatives.