How to Make Deep Fried Buttermilk Chicken - Crispy, Spicy Homemade Buttermilk Chicken
Recipe type: Chicken
Crispy, deep fried buttermilk chicken is outstanding. Succulent, juicy, spicy and super tasty, this will have your guests lining up for seconds.
- 4 Large chicken thighs, deboned, skin on
For the Marinade
- 250ml Cultured buttermilk
- 15ml Dried onion flakes
- 5ml Garlic granules
- 5ml Salt (non-iodated)
- 5ml Tabasco sauce
- 5ml White pepper
For the Coating
- 300g All purpose flour
- 30ml Garlic powder
- 30ml Dried onion flakes
- 15ml Dried thyme
- 10ml Dried sage
- 10ml Hot smoked paprika
- 20ml Salt (non-iodated)
- 15ml White pepper
- If your butcher is not kind enough to debone the chicken thighs for you, this is how to do it yourself.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut away any excess skin and fat from the bind side of the thigh.
- Cut between the skin and the spine and dig in and free the oyster from the spine.
- Cut the skin back until the thigh joint is exposed.
- Use your shears to cut through the joint.
- Locate the thigh bone and cut through the flesh to expose it.
- Grab the knuckle of the thigh bone and cut the flesh away from the joint.
- Use the edge of the blade to scrape the flesh down the bone until you reach the other joint.
- Cut around this joint to free the bone and you're done.
- Continue with the remaining thighs, then cut each one into 4 pieces across the width.
- Lift the chicken pieces using an egg lifter and transfer them to a vacuum bag.
- To make the buttermilk marinade, stir the Tabasco into the buttermilk.
- Measure out the onion flakes, garlic granules, salt and white pepper and mix these into the buttermilk.
- Pour this into the bag with the chicken.
- To vacuum pack this, elevate the vacuum packer to avoid sucking liquid into the machine. If you don't have a vacuum packer, use a jiffy bag or simply submerge the chicken in the marinade in a bowl. If you go this way, the chicken will need to marinate for 12 hours, as opposed to 3 to 6 hours in the vacuum pack.
- For the coating, place the garlic powder, onion flakes, dried thyme, dried sage, hot smoked paprika, salt and white pepper in your spice grinder. Zap these to a fie powder.
- Combine this with the all purpose flour.
- Cut the vac pack chicken open and pour this into a bowl.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of the flour mixture over a large platter. This is where the coated chicken will set, and the flour prevents the chicken from sticking to the platter and damaging the coating.
- Working with one piece at a time, lift the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess marinade.
- Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour to get a good solid coating. Transfer the chicken to the platter to set.
- Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Continue until all of the chicken is coated.
- Half fill a wok or large frying pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop 5 or 6 chicken pieces into the oil.
- Fry these for 4 to 5 minutes until crisp and golden. Use a slotted spoon to lift them from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper. Continue frying batches until all of the chicken is fried.
- And here it is... spicy, crisp and aromatic buttermilk fried chicken.