How to Make Potato Crisps - Best Recipe Homemade Potato Crisps - Super Crispy, Super Tasty!!!
Recipe type: Potatoes
Potato crisps are a tote favorite across the globe. Today we're going to look at how to make low carb potato crisps that are super crispy and super tasty.
For the Flavor Powder
- 30ml Dried mixed herbs (Italian or Herbs Provence)
- 2.5ml Garlic powder
- 2.5ml White pepper
- 5ml Salt
For the Crisps
- 2-4 Large potatoes
- 3 Liters water
- 60ml White vinegar
- 30ml Salt
- Place the mixed herbs, garlic powder, fine ground white pepper and salt in your spice grinder. The fine powders help the grinder grind the herbs to powder by adding extra resistance in the chamber.
- Transfer the fine blend to a sprinkle bottle.
- To cut the potatoes in thin slices, you can use a regular potato peeler, however these slices are too thin and will over-brown before crisping.
- Better than the regular is the ceramic peeler which will give you slightly thicker slices. The problem with this is that if you go even slightly skew, the wafers will be horribly uneven, resulting in burnt edges.
- The best way to achieve perfect slices is with a very sharp thin blade knife. Cut the slices to 1mm thickness.
- Transfer the sliced potato to a mixing bowl and pour in 3 liters of water.
- Add the salt and white vinegar and mix this around yo separate all of the potato wafers.
- You will immediately see the vinegar liberating the starch from the potato.
- Allow this to soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes and lay them out flat on a clean dish towel.
- Place another towel over these and pat them dry.
- Half fill a large pan or wok with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the wafers in to the oil. As the crisps fry you will notice that the violent frying as the water content is driven from the potato becomes more and more gentle.
- Within a couple of minutes the crisps will be causing no frying reaction at all, and they will be crisp and golden.
- Remove the crisps from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Continue with any remaining potato wafers.
- As the crisps cool they will crisp up even more.
- Transfer them to a large roasting tin. Sprinkle the flavoring powder over the crisps and toss them around gently to coat.
- Sprinkle again to cover any blind spots, toss again, then serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- And the we have it.... a mountain of awesomely crisp, golden, low carb potato crisps ready to be snacked.