McDonald's Chicken McNuggets Recipe - How to Make McDonald's McNuggets at Home!!!
Recipe type: Chicken / Fast Foods
A couple of weeks ago one of our viewers requested that I decode the McDonalds Chicken McNuggets recipe. I took up the challenge, and here it is.
For the Coating Batter (enough for 8-12 chicken breasts)
- 90g All purpose flour
- 15ml Salt
- 15ml Bicarbonate of soda
- 125g Yellow maize meal
- 90g Corn starch
- 20ml White pepper
- 10ml Onion powder
- 5ml Garlic powder
- 5ml Ground cumin
- 5ml Ground coriander seed
- 5ml Cayenne pepper
- 2.5ml Dried oregano
- 2.5ml Dried basil
- 2.5ml Dried rosemary
- 2.5ml Dried Thyme
- 450ml Water
- Unlike KFC, where the spicy flavor is cured into the chicken, with McNuggets, the flavor is all in the coating, so that's where we're starting.
- Measure out the yellow maize meal, the cornstarch and the all purpose flour.
- For the seasoning, combine the white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, ground coriander seed, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, dried rosemary and dried thyme. Grind these to powder in you spice grinder.
- Place all of the aforementioned into a large mixing bowl and mix briefly to combine.
- Pour in the water and whisk until smooth.
- Put this aside for 30 minutes to autolyse.
- After 30 minutes, even the smallest particles in the liquid will be saturated, and as a result the batter will have thickened considerably, and will coat the back of a spoon.
- The real McNuggets uses coarsely ground chicken reconstituted with the aid of emulsifiers and high pressure extruders. Since this does not affect the taste, we're not going to run out and buy bags of phosphates and fancy industrial extruders.
- Trim away the fillet from the chicken breasts.
- Square off the ends of the breasts and slice the remaining breasts into slices 5mm or a 5th of an inch thick.
- Place any trimmings in your refrigerator for other recipes.
- Half fill a wok or pan with oil and heat this to 170c or 340f.
- Once again, we don't have fancy conveyer belt coating machines, so to coat the chicken bits, pick a piece up with a skewer, dip it in the batter and drop it into the oil.
- The chicken cooks within 60 seconds, so you will only fry about 6 or 7 pieces at a time.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil, and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- And there it is.... a mountain of McNuggets just waiting to be enjoyed.