Deep Fried Mash Potato Croquettes - Super-Crisp on the Outside, Soft & Creamy on the Inside!!!
Recipe type: Potato
Yesterday we looked at delicious oven baked mash potato. Today we're going to make crispy deep-fried mashed potato croquettes. This recipe can be made equally successfully with instant mash or real homemade mash.
- 500g Cooked and mashed potato (or instant)
- 100g Diced pepperoni or salami
- 250ml All-purpose flour
- 6 Eggs, beaten
- 500ml Fine breadcrumbs
- Oil fry deep-frying
- Mix the diced pepperoni into the potato. You can experiment with all sorts of alternatives here.... flaked fish, smoked chicken, or really anything you fancy.
- Cover the mash and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Place 2 x 12 hole silicon mini muffin pans on a baking sheet.
- Fill the holes with potato mixture.
- Transfer the muffin trays to your freezer until the potato pucks are frozen solid.
- To coat the croquettes, pop a potato puck from the mold.
- Dip it in the egg.
- Dredge it in the flour to coat, then back into the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Dredge the potato in the breadcrumbs to get a good solid coating, then transfer it to large platter that has been sprinkled with breadcrumbs. The layer of breadcrumbs prevents the croquette from sticking to the plate which would result in damaged coating.
- Continue this process until all of the croquettes are coated. Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes before continuing.
- Half fill a large pan or wok with oil and heat this to 160c or 320f.
- Carefully drop the croquettes into the oil in batches and fry each batch for 4 to 5 minutes until super-crisp and golden.
- Remove the croquettes from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- And there it is.... a whole load of amazingly crispy, golden and tasty deep-fried potato croquettes.