How to Make Fake Roast Potatoes - The Quickest Roast Potatoes Ever!
Recipe type: Potatoes
A few episodes back when we quick roasted a sugar chilli pork neck, I mentioned that I'd share the secret to quick roast, or fake roast potatoes. The question is why would you do this? Firtsly, when your main roast is big, you may not have space in the roasting pan for roast potatoes. Secondly, if your roasting time is shorter than normal, it is not practical to roast potatoes.... this solves the problem. Thirdly, some potatoes are just not meant for roasting, whether it be that they are glassy, or too wet. And finally, these potatoes are just simply awesome.
- 8 x Medium potatoes (any variety)
- 15ml Kosher or Himalayan rock salt
- 15ml Dried garlic granules
- 15ml Dried chilli flakes
- Oil for frying
- To start, peel and cut your potatoes into chunks. I've used medium size potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and add 15ml of kosher salt, 15ml of dried garlic granules, and 15ml of dried chilli flakes.
- Pour in enough boiling kettle water to cover the potatoes.
- Place the pot over high heat and boil the potatoes until very tender. This can take anything from 15 to 25 minutes.
- Test the tenderness with a toothpick. When the toothpick slides easily through past the center of a potato chunk you're ready.
- Place the lid on the pot slightly offset and pour off the liquid.
- Place the lid back on the pot and shake the potatoes back and forth in the pot to rough them up.
- From this point you can finish your potatoes off in 2 ways. If your doing a short roast, place the potatoes in your roasting tin with your main ingredient and roast in a preheated oven at 250c or 480f for 60 minutes until crisp and golden. You can see an example of this in our salt and vinegar roast potatoes video.
- For true fake roast potatoes, heat a half filled wok of oil to 180c or 350f.
- Carefully scoop the potatoes into the oil and allow them to fry for 15 to 20 minutes until super-crispy and golden. Give the potatoes a gentle stir just after adding them to the oil, to separate the pieces, then simply let them fry away, stirring gently every 5 minutes.
- And there it is... the most amazing fake roast potatoes with a super crispy outside and a beautifully smooth, soft and silky inside.
- All that remains is to serve.