Sticky Mocha Coffee Chicken - Amazing Sticky Coffee Chicken - Sticky Chicken with a Difference!!!
Recipe type: Chicken / Poultry
Sticky chicken is awesome in any description, but this sticky mocha coffee chicken is at least a few steps ahead of the competition. A few episodes ago we introduced xanthan gum, the thickener of the future. This recipe owes its amazing stickiness and phenomenal mouth-feel to this simple ingredient
- 150ml Light Soy sauce
- 125ml Brown sugar
- 60ml Sherry
- 80ml Strong brewed coffee (at least double strength)
- 60ml Olive oil
- 8 Chicken pieces (drumsticks & thighs)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the light soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, strong black coffee, and oil.
- Normally there would be no way to combine the oil with the rest of the ingredients, and this is where xanthan gum comes in. Xanthan gum is a strong hydrocolloid which with its bipolar nature will effectively bind the oil and water based ingredients.
- Add the xanthan gum and zap the mixture for 60 seconds using your stick blender. You can also do this in a regular blender.
- Place the chicken pieces into a vacuum packing bag. If you don't have a vacuum packer, use a ziplock bag and extract as much air as possible.
- Pour the marinade.
- If you're using basic front-loading vacuum packer, it is a good idea to elevate the machine. This allows you to extract the air from the bag without sucking liquid into the vacuum pump, which will almost certainly damage the machine.
- It it also a good idea to do second seal to ensure that the bag does not leak.
- Transfer the bag to your refrigerator and allow the chicken to marinate for at least four hours.
- After the marinating time, cut the bag open and empty everything into a tray or container of some sort.
- Heat a heavy non-stick pan or a well seasoned cast iron pan over medium high heat. Do not add butter or oil.
- Lift the chicken pieces fron the marinade and place them in the pan skin side up.... obviously with the drumsticks this could be a little confusing.
- Fry the chicken for 3 minutes per side. It may appear that the chicken is burning, but this is simply the marinade becoming super-caramelized.
- After both sides have had 3 minutes, turn the chicken pieces back to their first side and pour in the marinade.
- Turn the heat down to medium and allow the chicken to simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the 15 minute mark, turn the pieces over and continue simmering the chicken for a further 5 minutes.
- Make sure to shake the pan back and forward every minute to ensure that the chicken is well coated with the sticky sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and serve with the accompaniments of your choice. As a hint these sticky chicken marvels go incredibly well with prawn crackers.