Grilled Sirloin Steak with Portabellini Mushrooms & Red Wine Sauce - Making Sauces using Xanthan Gum.
Recipe type: Steak
In today's episode we're making a couple juicy grilled sirloin steaks smothered in fried Portabellini mushrooms and a super quick red wine sauce using xanthan gum.
For the Sauce
- 250ml Dry red wine (good quality - bad wine = bad sauce)
- Chicken stock or beef stock
- 3.75ml Xanthan gum
For the Rest
- 6 Portabellini / Porcini / brown mushrooms
- 30g Butter
- 2 Fronds fresh rosemary
- 2 x 250g Sirloin / Tenderloin steaks, cut 30mm thick
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Starting with the red wine sauce, crumble the stock cube into the red wine. Follow the stock manufacturers instructions to calculate the quantity of stock required for this amount of liquid.
- Add 3.75ml of xanthan gum to the wine mixture.
- Use your stick blender to combine this thoroughly. You can use a regular stand blender. You will end up with a thick red wine sauce within 60 seconds, and all that remains to be done is to heat the sauce in your microwave when required.
- Strip the leaves from 2 fronds or fresh rosemary and roughly chop the leaves, then measure out 30g of butter.
- You will need 2 juicy sirloin steaks cut to 1 and a quarter inches thick, or just over 30mm.
- Stand the steaks on their fatty edge and press 2 skewers through the steaks to secure.
- Flip the steaks over and season the fat liberally with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Slice the mushrooms and put these aside.
- Heat a heavy pan over medium high heat, add the butter and drop the steaks into the pan fatty side down.
- Allow the fat to cook like this for 6 to 8 minutes until well browned, crispy and rendered.
- Remove the skewers and lift the steaks from the pan while you add half of the rosemary.
- Return the steaks to the pan, lying flat, and sprinkle the remaining rosemary over the top.
- Grill the steaks for 2 minutes per side for medium rare, or add 30 seconds per side for medium.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and transfer them to warm plate to rest.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and stir fry these for 2 to 3 minutes until tender and golden.
- In the meantime heat the red wine sauce in your microwave oven until nice and warm.
- Transfer the steaks to serving platters, top each with half of the mushrooms and a generous dose of the red wine sauce.
- Serve your masterpiece immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.