Grilled Chicken Mayonnaise Sandwich Meltdown - The Ultimate Grilled Chicken Mayonnaise Sandwich
Recipe type: Sandwiches / Grills
I don't think I have ever met anyone who doesn't enjoy a good toasted chicken mayonnaise sandwich. Here is recipe for this old favorite that gives a whole new definition to this classic. I call it the grilled chicken mayo meltdown. It just looks better and it really tastes better.
- 2 Roasted chicken quarters
- 1 Onion
- 120g Tangy mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste (or the seasoning of your choice)
- 8 Slices square loaf bread
- 8 Slices mature cheddar / Jack
- 4 Cocktail tomatoes
- Strip and shred the meat from 2 roasted chicken quarters, including the skin.
- Add a diced onion and the tangy mayonnaise. Mix this all until everything is well coated.
- Season liberally with salt and cracked black pepper, or the seasoning of your choice. Mix this in thoroughly.
- Lightly butter 8 slices of bread and arrange the slices in pairs with buttered surfaces face to face.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. You can test the readiness of the pan by flicking a little cold water onto the surface. If it bubbles instantly, the pan is ready.
- Lift the top slices of bread and place them in the pan. Top these with the bottom slices. Now the buttered faces are on the outside of the sandwiches.
- Grill the sandwiches turning them every couple of minutes until they are golden and crispy. Make sure to square up the slices after every turn.
- Once you are happy with their color, remove the sandwiches from the pan and continue with the following 2.
- Place the sandwiches on a chopping board. Use a sharp thin blade to cut through the sandwiches along the diagonals.
- Flip the sandwich triangle onto their crusts and arrange them in a line.
- Drive a 25cm or 10 inch skewer through the sandwich triangles to hold them together. Repeat this with the other 2 sandwiches.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a foil lined baking sheet.
- Place the cheese slices along the apex of the sandwiches. Press them down gently to make contact with the hot filling. This secures them in place.
- Grill the sandwiches under a preheated grill in your oven until the cheese has melted completely, but not browned.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and transfer the meltdowns to serving platters.
- Press cocktail tomatoes onto each end of the skewers and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.