Spiral Cut Russian Hot Dogs - Gourmet Hot Dogs with a Twist!!!
Recipe type: Fast Foods
These spiral cut Russian hot dogs are a fun and novel way to add interest to what would otherwise be just a big hot dog. Along with the bacon and melted cheese this is a dog fit for kings.
For Each Hotdog
- 1 x 8 inch / 20cm Russian sausage
- 1 x Strip streaky bacon
- 50g Mozzarella or Cheddar, grated
- Frilly lettuce
- 1 x 10 inch / 25cm Hot dog roll
- 1 x 10 inch / 25cm bamboo skewer
- Press a 10 inch or 25cm skewer through the length each Russian sausage.
- Holding your knife at 30 degrees to the perpendicular or right angle to the sausage, start rolling and slicing simultaneously.
- Slice the spiral all the way up each sausage.
- Gently open up the spiral by working the ends of the sausage towards the ends of the skewer.
- Place a slice of streaky bacon on the cutting board. Cut through the bacon lengthways, leaving one end intact. This will give you a long strip of bacon.
- Tuck one end of the long strip into the spiral groove of a sausage and start winding it up the spiral, making sure to keep it in the groove. This will make sure the spiral remains open while cooking as well as adding the magnificent bacon flavor right through the sausage.
- Repeat this until all of your sausages are done.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the sausages on the sheet. Bake the sausages in a preheated oven at 250c or 480f for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and carefully pull the skewers free.
- Top the sausages with a liberal dose of your favorite melting cheese, making sure to get as much of the cheese on top of the sausages as possible.
- Return the sausages to the oven and let these cook just until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Transfer the sausage to buttered hot dog rolls dressed with liberal amounts of frilly lettuce, top the sausages with the sauce of your choice and serve immediately.