How to Make Crispy Golden Waffles - Classic Crispy Waffle Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
Waffles are certainly among the most well known desserts and comfort foods served in high end and low end establishments across the world. Making a waffle is really easy, but making a great waffle takes a couple of extra steps.
- 285g All purpose flour
- 10ml Baking powder
- 2.5ml Salt
- 15ml Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 105g Butter
- 360ml Full cream milk
- Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Separate the eggs into 2 jugs, measure out the milk and melt the butter in your microwave.
- Pour the egg whites into your processor with whisk attached. Whisk the whites until nice and frothy and the whisk is starting to leave trails in the egg.
- Pour the white from the mixer into another bowl.
- Return the bowl to the mixer and add the egg yolks. Whisk these for a minute until well mixed then add the milk and melted butter. Stir this in thoroughly.
- Pour this into the flour mixture and stir it in briefly. Don't mix this until smooth. You want it to be mixed through but the batter must have a pebbly texture.
- Pour in the egg white and fold this in briefly until just combined.
- Heat your waffle iron following the manufacturers instructions. When the ready light comes on, pour in the require amount of batter for your machine.
- Very shortly after closing the iron large amounts of steam will rise from the machine. This steam will tell you when the waffle is ready, not the lights on the machine.
- After a few minutes the steam will almost stop... the waffles are ready to remove. Remove the waffles and continue with the remaining batter.
- Whisking the egg whites separately, using extra butter and following the steam signals will have you on the road to awesomely crispy, golden waffles.
- This recipe will make 12-16 Belgian style waffles.