How to Make the Ultimate Fish Burger - The Best Crispy Deep Fried Fish Burger
Recipe type: Fish / Seafood
In search of the ultimate fish burger, you need a very special fish. Monkfish has a texture and flavor very similar to crayfish and lobster. In fact so similar that many restaurants serve monkfish as crayfish thermador. This is the fish we need to make the ultimate fish burger.
- 600g Monkfish tail
- 80ml All-purpose flour
- 80ml Cornflour
- 80ml Finely crushed corn flakes
- 15ml Salt
- 15ml Lemon pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Large burger buns
- Frilly lettuce
- Sliced pickled gherkin
- Fresh lemon to squeeze
- Cut the 2 fillets away from the spine of the fish. The fillets are long and fat. Cut 4 inches away from the thicker ends of the fillets for the burgers and save the thinner ends for other recipes.
- Use a sharp knife to butterfly the fillets from the outer edge of the meat.
- For the coating, combine the all-purpose flour, corn flour, finely crush corn flakes, salt and lemon pepper.
- Whisk 2 eggs and pour them into a bowl.
- Before coating the fish, sprinkle some of the seasoned flour over a platter. This is where the coated fish will set and the layer of flour prevents the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- Dredge the fish in the flour mixture to coat it all over.
- Dunk the fish in the egg making sure to wet all of the flour.
- Return the fish to the flour making sure to get a good solid coating.
- Transfer the coated fish to the platter to set and continue with the second fillet. Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- While the coating sets, slice and butter the burger buns. Top the buns with a healthy dose of frilly lettuce, a dollop of mayonnaise, and sliced pickled gherkin.
- Heat a large pan of oil to a temperature of 180c or 350f.
- Carefully lower the fish into the oil and fry this for 6 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Remove the fish from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the fish to the buns, give each one a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.