Caramelized Onion Bread - Beautifully Aromatic Homemade Caramelized Onion Bread.
Recipe type: Bread
Sometimes a good white farm loaf just doesn't make the grade. By simply making a couple of changes you can end up with a beautifully rustic and aromatic bread like this caramelized onion bread.
- 950g Strong white bread flour
- 60g Vegetable shortening (Fat), grated
- 15ml Sugar
- 10ml Salt
- 12.5ml Instant yeast
- 30ml Milk powder
- 600ml Warm Water
- 2 Medium onions
- Peel and chop the onions into quarter rounds.
- Heat 30ml of oil in a pan over medium heat and add the onion.
- Fry the onion for 8 to 10 minutes until well browned and caramelized. Remove from the heat and set this aside.
- Measure out the white bread flour, milk powder, salt, sugar, granulated garlic and yeast.
- Grate the vegetable shortening and add this to the flour.
- Place the bowl on your mixer and mix this on low speed until well incorporated.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix this in briefly.
- Stir the caramelized onion into the warm water and pour this into the mixer bowl.
- Mix this just until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the flour.
- Swap out the beater paddle for the dough hook and proceed to knead the dough for 8 minutes on the second to lowest speed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover with cling-wrap and allow this to rise in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- After the first rise, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead the dough briefly and form it into a log.
- Cut the log into 2 equal pieces, and form 2 logs from these.
- Transfer these to a parchment lined baking sheet, dust the tops of the loaves with flour and cover them loosely with cling-wrap.
- Allow the loaves to rise again for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake the loaves in a pre-heated oven at 200c or 400f for 40 to 45 minutes until well browned.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and allow them to cool on racks before slicing and serving.
- And there we have it.... beautifully crusty, light and aromatic, caramelized onion bread.