Carrot & Ginger Soup - The Perfect Soup for Winter or Summer.
Recipe type: Soup
This soup is smooth, creamy and thick and can be served hot or cold. This makes it perfect for warming winter nights or cooling summer days.
- 30g Coconut oil
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 10cm (4 inches) Ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1kg Carrots, roughly chopped
- 1lt (4 cups) Chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you're vegetarian or vegan)
- 500ml (2 cups) Water
- Sour cream and fresh dill to garnish
- Finely chop the onion and thinly slice the garlic and fresh ginger.
- Roughly chop the carrots and measure out the chicken stock and coconut oil.
- Melt the coconut oil over medium high heat and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Reduce the heat to medium low and sauté the vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes until the onion is absolutely tender.
- Add the carrots, stock and 2 cups of water to the wok.
- Increase the heat to bring this to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 35 to 40 minutes until the carrot is absolutely tender.
- Turn off the gas, or remove the wok from the heat.
- Use your stick blender to machine the soup until it is very smooth. You can also do this in a stand blender, however you will need to cool the mixture substantially before doing this, and then reheat it after blending.
- Serve the soup hot or chilled topped with sour cream and sprigs of fresh dill.