Chicharones di Pollo - Cuban style Chicken Nuggets. Crispy Deep-Fried Chicken Bites.
Recipe type: Chicken / Deep-fried
These Cuban-style crispy chicken nuggets are amazing. Marinated in garlic, onion, lime and white rum, then flavored with pepper, cumin, oregano and paprika, your guests will definitely be lining up for more.
- 4 Large chicken thighs, deboned, skin on
- 20ml Chopped garlic
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 90ml Lime juice
- Zest of 4 Limes
- 60ml White rum or cane spirit
For the Coating
- 250ml All-purpose flour
- 5ml Salt
- 5ml Ground black pepper
- 5ml Ground cumin
- 5ml Dried oregano
- 5ml Paprika
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Cut the deboned chicken thighs into bite sized cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chopped onion, chopped garlic, lime juice, lime zest and white rum. You can substitute the white rum with cane spirit if you prefer.
- Add the cubed chicken, mix it in and transfer the bowl yo your refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours to marinate.
- After this time, combine the all purpose flour, salt, ground black pepper, ground cumin, dried oregano and paprika.
- Use some of the seasoned flour to sprinkle over a platter. This is where the coated chicken will set and this layer of flour prevents the coating from sticking to the platter and getting damaged.
- In another bowl, whisk 2 eggs.
- Working with one cube of chicken at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture to coat all over.
- Dunk the cube in the egg to wet all of the flour.
- Return it yo the flour and toss it thoroughly to get a good solid coating. Transfer the chicken to the platter to set and continue with the remaining cubes.
- Allow the coating to set for 20 minutes before continuing.
- Fill a large frying pan with oil to a depth of 1 inch. Heat the oil to a temperature of 180c or 350f.
- Carefully drop the cubes into the oil and fry the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes until crispy and golden, turning regularly to ensure even coloring.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve the chicharones immediately garnished with fresh parsely and extra lime wedges.