Plaited Swedish Easter Bread - Best Easter Bread Recipe!!! Easter Special 2016
Recipe type: Bread
This Easter bread is outstanding with an amazing soft texture, insanely magical aroma and spectacular flavor. This bead is every bit as good as the best hot cross buns you have ever tasted.
- 12.5ml Active dry yeast
- 60ml Warm water
- 240ml Milk
- 125g Butter
- 125ml White sugar
- 2.5ml Salt
- 2.5ml Ground cinnamon
- 1.25ml Ground nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups Strong white bread flour
For the Egg Wash
- 1 Egg whisked with 25ml milk
For the Glaze
- 15g Softened butter
- ¾ Cup icing sugar
- 2.5ml Vanilla extract
- 20ml Milk
- Add the instant yeast to your stand mixer bowl. Pour in the warm water and give it a brief stir.
- Place the butter and milk in a jug and warm this in your microwave and heat it just enough to melt the butter. Pour this into the yeast mixture.
- Add the sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and one egg.
- Place the bowl on your mixer with the beater attached and mix this together for 60 seconds.
- Add the flour to the bowl and mix this briefly, just until all of the flour is incorporated into the liquid.
- Swap out the beater for your dough hook and knead the dough for 7 minutes on medium low speed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover the bowl with cling-wrap and let this rise in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- After rising, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough briefly then roll it out into a log.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Roll each of these into a log and divide these into 3 pieces each.
- Roll each of the pieces into a long strand of about 50cm or 20 inches.
- Group three of the strands in a parallel formation and crimp the one end together. Proceed with a simple plait along the length of the loaf.
- Crimp the other end together to finish, then repeat this with the second loaf.
- Transfer the loaves to a baking sheet wrapped in parchment, cover the loaves loosely with cling-wrap and allow this to rise again for 45 minutes.
- After rising, brush the loaves with the egg wash and bake them in a preheated oven at 180c or 350f for 30 minutes.
- While the loaves bake, prepare the glaze by mixing the soft butter, icing sugar and milk together until smooth.
- Remove the loaves from the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack and drizzle the glaze over the bread.
- Allow the loaves to cool for at least 20 minutes before tearing apart and serving with butter.