How to Make Authentic Falafel - Crispy Fried Garbanzo Bean/Chickpea Fritter Recipe!!!
Recipe type: Vegan / Vegetarian
Cuisine: Middle Eastern / Mediterranean
In our previous 2 episodes we covered tahini paste and hummus. Today we're making falafel with tahini sauce and hummus.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with twice the depth of water. You cannot use canned chickpeas, the recipe will fail. This recipe can be challenging and as a result, I have included a troubleshooting addendum below. Be sure to read this before starting.
- Cover the bowl with cling-wrap and allow this to stand overnight.
- The following day, drain the chickpeas and rinse them thoroughly.
- Transfer the chickpeas to your food processor along with the chopped onion, parsley, garlic, flour, salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, pepper, cayenne and cardamom.
- Process the mixture until it resembles couscous. Place it in a bowl, cover with cling-wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To form the falafel, use a 30ml measuring scoop. Compress the mixture into the scoop and shake the molded shape out into your hand. Gently shape it into a ball and transfer this to a platter.
- To make sesame coated falafel, roll the formed ball in sesame seeds scattered across a platter.
- Continue until all of the balls are formed.
- Half fill a large pan with oil and heat this over medium heat to 160c or 320f.
- Carefully drop the falafel into the oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side until crispy and golden.
- Remove the falafel from the oil and drain and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the falafel on a bed of hummus. Thin the sesame paste with extra olive oil and pour this over the falafel. Garnish the plate with fresh coriander and serve immediately.
- If the balls will not hold together:
- ) Your chickpeas are too old
- ) The mixture has not been processed fine enough
To fix this
- ) Return the mixture to your processor and process until it resemble couscous
- ) If it still does not hold together, add 2-3 tablespoons of flour and 1-2 eggs and mix this into the mixture thoroughly