How to Make Meringues - Perfect Meringues - Crispy Outside, Soft Inside!!!
Recipe type: Sweets / Candy / Dessert
A good meringue is hard to find.... crispy on the outside and soft and squishy on the inside. This recipe takes the mystery out of how to make perfect meringues.
- 6 Large egg whites
- 350g Caster sugar
- 2.5ml Salt
- Place the egg whites and salt in your mixer bowl. Fit the whisk to your machine and whisk on low speed for 60 seconds.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whisk until the egg holds a peak.
- Turn the machine speed to high and gradually add the caster sugar one tablespoonful at a time.
- Once all of the caster sugar is added allow the machine to continue whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy. This process can take anything from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how efficient your mixer is.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment and load the meringue mixture into a piping bag. Pipe the meringue rounds onto the parchment, leaving a little space between each.
- To make dessert cups or baskets, pipe the base of the basket to a diameter of 90mm, or 3.5 inches, then continue piping over the outside ring to build a wall.
- Bake the meringues in a preheated oven at 140c or 284f for 30 to 40 minutes and the color has darkened slightly.
- Allow the meringues to cool in the oven with door slightly open.
- Store the meringues in an air-tight container as they will soften due to humidity.