How to Make Awesome Burger Buns without an Oven!!! Amazing Soft & Tasty Pan Grilled Burger Buns!!!
Recipe type: Burgers / Bread
Serves: 6 - 12
In this episode we're making burger buns without an oven - these buns are superb and will rival the best buns you have ever tasted!!!
Group 1 Ingredients
- 30ml Instant dried yeast
- 280ml Warm water
- 80ml Oil
- 60ml Sugar
Group 2 Ingredients
- 1 Egg
- 5ml Salt
- 480g Strong white bread flour
- 6 Tbs extra strong white bread flour
- Place the yeast, sugar, warm water and oil in your mixer bowl. Mix this briefly, then allow it to stand for 10 minutes until very frothy.
- Add the egg and the salt and mix briefly again.
- Add half of the flour and mix this for 3 minutes until combined, then allow this to stand for 10 minutes. This standing time allows the flour to autolyse. This means than the flour becomes absolutely saturated with water resulting in a softer and better textured bread.
- (if you're mixing by hand, use a wooden paddle to mix until combined)
- Add the second half of the flour and mixt again for 7 minutes. During this time, gradually add the extra 6 tablespoons of flour.
- (if you're mixing by hand, mix the dough with the paddle until it comes together and comes away from the sides of the bowl, then turn it out and knead by hand for 7 minutes, adding the additional flour while kneading)
- After the kneading time, the dough will be soft and elastic and only very slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it into a log. Divide the dough into 6 for jumbo buns, 9 for regular buns and 12 for cocktail size.
- (if by hand, roll into a log and divide)
- Each piece will be in the shape of a small cylinder. Place the cylinders on their end and flatten them into discs.
- Allow these to stand for 10 minutes to relax the gluten. After 10 minutes, you can place these on a tray covered loosely with cling-wrap and store them in your refrigerator should you not wish to bake them immediately.
- Otherwise heat a pan over medium low heat and drop 2 or 3 buns into the pan. Allow these to cook for 6 to 7 minutes before flipping them over. If you are cooking refrigerated buns, give these an extra 2 minutes per side. Flip the buns over and cook for a further 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the buns from the pan and transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Continue with the remaining buns.
- Surprisingly, these buns cut very well even before cooling, as I am doing here. Inside you see a beautifully soft, well textured crumb with an aroma from heaven, and tons of flavor.
- Toast the sliced buns face down in a pan in butter, then make up your burgers, or whatever you have planned for them.
- For cocktail buns adjust the cooking time to 4 to 5 minutes per side, and for regular size buns, 5 to 6 minutes per side.