Smashed Chicken Cheese Burger - The Chicken Version of the Shake Shack & Smashburger Epic!!!
Recipe type: Burgers
In our previous episode we made the inimitable smashed cheese burger. The video has created quite some interest, so here is the chicken version.... the smashed chicken cheese burger.
For 8 Burgers - The Chicken
- 1kg / 2.2lb Deboned chicken thigh, skin on
- 15g Fine salt
- 2ml Ground cloves
- 10ml Ground coriander seed
- 2ml Ground nutmeg
- 5ml Ground white pepper
- 8 Large burger buns
- 16 Slices tomato
- Fresh crispy lettuce
- 16 Slices Mozzarella cheese (5mm thick)
- To prepare the chicken, run the chicken thigh meat through your mincer using the 6mm or quarter inch mincer plate.
- Add the salt, white pepper, ground cloves, ground coriander seed, and ground nutmeg to the chicken and mix this in.
- Fit the 3mm plate to your mincer and run the meat through again.
- Transfer the ground chicken to your refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Once chilled, divide the chicken into portions of 125g. Work on top of a square of foil, press a portion of chicken into a cylinder funnel to form a patty that resembles a hockey puck.
- Repeat this with all of the remaining portions. Transfer these to a large platter in a single layer and place them in your freezer for exactly 15 minutes.
- While the patties chill, slice your buns, the tomatoes and the cheese. You will also need a whole load of crispy lettuce leaves.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat and add 50g of butter. Drop the buns face down into the pan and fry them until golden. Repeat this with the remaining buns, adding more butter when necessary.
- By this stage the patties have chilled for 15 minutes. Crank the heat of the pan up to smoking hot and add the patties to the pan. Crush them using an egg lifter or similar utensil, pressing it down with any other sturdy kitchen tool.
- Allow these to fry for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Flip the patties and immediately arrange the cheese slices on top of the patties. Continue to fry for a further 3 and half minutes.
- Transfer the patties to the buns. Top them with a healthy dose of lettuce and sliced tomato. Give to top of the bun a good dose of mayonnaise and close the burger.
- And there you have it.... the smashed chicken cheese burger.