Stuffed Barbecue Grilled Buns - Stuffed Roostekoek - Roostekoek Stuffed with Garlic Butter & Herbs.
Recipe type: Barbecue Grilled Bread
Cuisine: South African
Just a few episodes back we made traditional South African roostekoek, or in English, barbecue grilled buns. Following that, I had a number of requests to do the same buns stuffed with fillings.
- 2 Batches of Roostekoek dough
- 160g Butter
- 3 Large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2.5ml Salt
- 2.5ml Dried Italian herb mix
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- To make the filling, mush the butter, garlic, salt, herbs and cracked black pepper until totally combined.
- Lay out a sheet of cling wrap and drop the butter mixture into the center of the plastic.
- Fold the plastic over the butter and roll it out to a thickness of 3mm.
- Transfer this to your freezer for at least an hour to solidify.
- Turn the roostekoek dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently flatten it out to a roughly rectangular shape.
- Use your rolling pin to roll this down to a thickness of 10mm or just less then half an inch.
- Remove the solid sheet of garlic butter from the freezer and cut it into squares.
- Mark out the center point on the dough. Space squares of frozen butter over on half of the dough at even intervals.
- Fold the blank dough over this and press it down lightly, then run over the sheet lightly with your rolling pin.
- This will allow you to see where the squares of butter are located. Cut the dough between each row of butter squares to give you 9 buns.
- Lightly flour a roasting pan and transfer the buns to the pan. Cover the pan with cling wrap and allow the buns to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Heat your barbecue to the lower side of medium heat and oil the grid. When you can hold your hand an inch from the grid for 10 seconds before burning, the temperature is right.
- Grill the buns for 6 minutes per side until well colored and slightly crisped on the outside.
- Remember that the grill is not the same temperature all over, and some of the buns may have to bake slightly longer.
- Remove the buns from the grill once done and serve immediately.