How to Make Marshmallows - Homemade Marshmallows - Amazing Vanilla Marshmallows Recipe
Recipe type: Sweets / Candy
These homemade marshmallows are light and fluffy and just melt in your mouth. The process does require that you own a candy or deep frying thermometer as temperatures are critical. Other than than that, marshmallows are incredibly easy to make.
For the Powder Coating
- 180ml Icing / Powdered sugar
- 120ml Cornstarch
For the Mallows
- 22.5ml Powdered gelatin
- 60ml + 120ml cold water
- 60ml + 60ml Corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 10ml Pure vanilla extract
- 180ml Sugar
- To start, we need to make the powder coating which prevents the marshmallows from sticking together once they have set. To do this, sift the powdered sugar and cornflour together in a bowl, then put this aside.
- In a heat proof jug, combine the water and gelatin and whisk these together. Put this aside for 5 minutes for the gelatin to soften.
- In a small saucepan, combine half of the corn syrup with a quarter cup water, the sugar and salt and stir this briefly.
- Heat this over high heat stirring intermittently and keeping an eye on the temperature using your candy thermometer.
- In the meantime, heat the gelatin solution on high in your microwave for about 30 seconds until the gelatin is totally dissolved.
- Place this in your stand mixer bowl along with the remaining half of corn syrup.
- Start your mixer running on slow speed.
- When the the sugar solution in the saucepan reaches 115c or 240f remove the pan from the heat and drizzle the mixture slowly into the mixing bowl.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and allow this to continue mixing for 5 minutes.
- Increase the speed again to medium high and continue mixing for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the pure vanilla extract and increase the speed to maximum for a final 90 seconds.
- Dust a baking sheet with the powdered sugar cornflour mixture and pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan.
- Use a spatula to spread the mallow out to your desired thickness. Don't worry if the mixture doesn't take up the whole pan, it won't spread any further than you want it to as it is quite thick.
- Powder the top and leave the mallow to set undisturbed for at least 6 hours.
- Once set, use a plastic spatula to loosen the sides. Use a roller cutter or pizza cutter to cut the marshmallow sheet in your desired sizes.
- Serarate the mallow squares, dredge the squares in the powdered sugar mixture and store in an airtight container until required.